Our first unit in L.A will be Fables. In this unit students experience a variety of classic, humorous, and thought-provoking fables that make the reader think about themselves and others.
• Fables play an important role in teaching children morals as well as certain literary elements. This unit provides an opportunity for children to briefly explore fables in a broad context, while diving deeper into the characters and moral of Aesop’s famous fables.
As students read/view illustrations and read fables and graphic fables, they develop:
- An understanding of the characteristics of narrative text pattern for fables
- The writing strategy of combining sentences
- The reading strategy of retelling
- The media strategy of expressing opinions about illustrations
- the speaking strategy of using tone and volume
- Word study skills